Top Food Blogs

Tuesday 5 July 2011

Kari Kepala Ikan







Kari Kepala Ikan Merah (  fish head curry -red snapper)

Sorry mates if most of my entries in July would kind of flash back ,going through memory lane again and again.July is winter time in Sydney and what would be better dish to keep my soul warm other than soup and curry!! How I wish to  hate wet and gloomy winter,alas.. I can't beat the pleasure of time well spent leisurely all day long crafting, reading great books or doing nothing at all with a very fantastic view from my bedroom looking down the hill..ocean view ..very seductive..very addictive!! But  without my coffee pot!!!Arggh!! I was in last trimester!! I love curry kepala ikan..You  know that time,   I only pay for the fillet,and got the head  free from Randwick fishmongers,they thought it was for my cats ( I don't have any)!! hahah..I like curry without coconut milk.We like to eat this curry with papadum and acar mentah nenas + timun, sometime sambal belacan too whenever food fancy gone over board :D Here is the kari kepala ikan you may want to try:

Kari Kepala Ikan Merah ( fish head curry- red snapper)
1 kepala ikan ( fish head Red Snapper)--600g
8 okra ( kacang bendi)
2 eggplant ( terung)
2 tomatoes
2 red chillies and green chillies
11/2 packs fish curry powder (Babas) or ( 3 tblsp)-- mix with water to make paste
 1 tsp jintan putih-grind to powder--optional
1 teaspoon halba campur - (optional)
10 pc curry leaves
5 onion,2 garlic (blend)
2 onion,1 garlic slice thinly
1/2 tbsp asam jawa paste (adabi)--adjust to your taste, i like my curry a bit sour
1  small tub plain yogourt ( or you may subtitute with 1 cup coconut cream-santan pekat)
3 cups water for the soup/ kuah
1/4 cup oil for frying the ingredients (tumis)

Method
1.Heat the oil and saute the sliced onion,garlic,halba campur,curry leaves over low flame until fragrant.Add in onion and garlic paste,fry until fragrant too.
2.Then add in curry paste,jintan putih, keep on stirring until the oil seperated (naik minyak).
3.Add in asam jawa paste with water, bring to boil.
4.Finally add in all the vegetables and fish head. Cover the lid. Cook until the fish turn opaque/ cooked.
clean the fish and soaked in tamarind juice for a while to remove the smell
saute onions and pounded/blended ingredients until fragrant
add in curry paste and jintan putih
finally add in air asam jawa (tamarind juice) ,brig to boil then add in  vege and fish, cook till opaque.

This head fish curry can be served with plain rice,papadum, acar mentah timun and nanas (cucumber and pineapple salad) and some sambal belacan
jom makan

We are going to have this menu tonight too..because " I don't feel like chicken tonight" :D

Bonn apetit

No comments:

Post a Comment