Top Food Blogs

Thursday 23 June 2011

Fried Banana balls?? 'Jeppu' Pise ( cekodok pisang)

 Jepput pisang (cekodok pisang) / fried banana balls??
You can call this kuih by any name you like. Some call jemput-jemput pisang, cekodok pisang, but I  call it  'jeppu' pise..like most kelantanese do.The one that you can buy from the stall normally have rounder shape and slightly bigger than a golf ball.,golden brown in colour.. It varies in  shapes and sizes.I guess if it has more banana than flour ration in the batter,the kuih will have rounder shape during frying but will sunken flat when cooling and absorbed more oil during cooking. That is one of the reason I will use the  best oil I have to deep fry them.I love eating my 'jeppu' pise made from batter with more banana than flour  ratio and a pinch of baking powder, never mind the sluggish flatten look. I want to taste more banana,even like chewing on same banana chunk in my 'jeppu' pise :D  and love this kuih with my coffee pete'-pete' nih :D

Here is my humble ugly looking but yummilicious 'jeppu' pise's recipe.

Ingredients

3 pisang raja ( any over ripe banana will do)
2 tsp sugar ( optional )
4 tbsp flour ( more if you like firmer and rounder shape)
1 egg
a pinch of baking powder
a pinch of salt to taste
good cooking oil for deep frying ( sunflower oil..or any good one for deep frying,but the best I would say olive oil... gentler to your heart arteries )

kitchen paper to absorb excess oil from 'jeppu' pise

Method

1.Mash the banana like you do for mash potato but leave some to coarsely chunks. add in flour and all ingredients.mix until just like you do for muffin mixture. The batter is lumpy .
2.Set a side for a while.
3.Heat up the oil in a wok or frying pan. use a spoon to scoop the batter and drop it in the hot oil. fry until golden colour.Lift out with a slotted spoon  and drain well.
jom makan

No comments:

Post a Comment